Quality at ECMC – 2018
- ECMC received the national the national Women’s Choice Award® for both Bariatrics and Orthopaedics. The Bariatric Surgery award signifies that ECMC is in the top 9% of 4,812 U.S. hospitals reviewed. The Orthopaedics award signifies that ECMC is in the top 11% of 3,230 U.S. hospitals offering orthopaedic services.
- ECMC verified as a Level 1 Trauma Center by the Verification Review Committee (VRC), an ad hoc committee of the Committee on Trauma (COT) of the American College of Surgeons (ACS). This achievement recognizes ECMC’s dedication to providing optimal care for injured patients. Established by the American College of Surgeons in 1987, the COT’s Consultation/Verification Program for Hospitals promotes the development of trauma centers in which participants provide not only the hospital resources necessary for trauma care, but also the entire spectrum of care to address the needs of all injured patients. This spectrum encompasses the prehospital phase through the rehabilitation process.
- Successful 5-year reaccreditation by The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), part of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) of Transplant program, housed in ECMC’s Regional Center of Excellence for Transplantation and Kidney Care.
- The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), part of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) conferred Three Stars on ECMC’s Outpatient Dialysis services.
- Medical Intensive Care Unit (MICU) presented silver-level American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) Beacon Award for Excellence, which is a three-year designation highlighting the Unit’s achievement of exceptional care through improved outcomes and greater overall patient satisfaction.
- The American College of Health Care Administrators (ACHCA) honored Anthony DePinto, Administrator of ECMC’s Terrace View Long-Term Care Facility with the 2018 Eli Pick Facility Leadership Award.
- NYS Department of Health Commissioner, based on American College of Surgeons’ recent verification of ECMC as Level 1 Trauma Center, designates ECMC as a Level 1 Adult Trauma Center, stating “This is a significant achievement not only for your institution and for the New York Trauma system as a whole, but for the community you serve.”
- ECMC received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award. The award recognizes the hospital’s commitment and success in ensuring stroke patients receive the most appropriate treatment according to nationally recognized, research-based guidelines based on the latest scientific evidence.
- Synergy Bariatrics / Center for Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery has been accredited for a second consecutive three-year period as a “Comprehensive Center” under the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP®) – a joint program of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS). This accreditation extends from 3/27/18 to 3/27/21.
- New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS) re-issued full, three-year operating certificates ECMC’s inpatient and three outpatient chemical dependency treatment service locations.
- September – U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (DOH) Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) ranked ECMC’s Terrace View Long-Term Care Facility #1 in its Skilled Nursing Facility Value-Based Purchasing (VBP) Program out of 15,421 skilled nursing facilities (SNFs) nationwide.
ABOUT ERIE COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER (ECMC) CORPORATION: The ECMC Corporation was established as a New York State Public Benefit Corporation and since 2004 has included an advanced academic medical center with 573 inpatient beds, on- and off-campus health centers, more than 30 outpatient specialty care services and Terrace View, a 390-bed long-term care facility. ECMC is Western New York’s only Level 1 Adult Trauma Center, as well as a regional center for burn care, behavioral health services, transplantation, medical oncology and head & neck cancer care, rehabilitation and a major teaching facility for the University at Buffalo. Most ECMC physicians, dentists and pharmacists are dedicated faculty members of the university and/or members of a private practice plan. More Western New York residents are choosing ECMC for exceptional patient care and patient experiences – the difference between healthcare and true care™.