41st Running, Subaru Buffalo 4-Mile Chase
Friday, July 21st @ 7pm
Elmwood Avenue at Bidwell Parkway
Schedule of Events, Bios, Event History, All-Time Winners
BUFFALO, NEW YORK—The 41st Running of The Subaru Buffalo 4-Mile Chase will take place on Friday, July 21st at 7:00 P.M. Over the years, the race has attracted over 33,000 participants from 30 foreign countries and every state to include former Olympians, Medal Winners and World Record Holders.
The Subaru 4- Mile Chase has been recognized as Western New York’s Premier International Sporting Event, one of the top 3 Four-Mile Races in the world and the social running event of the summer.
This year’s event is expected to attract some of the top US and Foreign athletes who compete in major road races in the country and abroad. Returning this year is 3-time winner (2016-17-19) Monica Ngige, 30, from Kenya. Ngige was formerly ranked #4 in the World for 5k. She placed 5th in the Boston Marathon in 2022 and hit the podium there in 2021, finishing 3rd. Her major road race wins include: Cooper River Bridge Run (Charleston, SC), Crescent City Classic (New Orleans, LA), and The Azalea Trail Run (Mobile, Alabama).
The race will start on Elmwood Avenue and Bidwell Parkway and finish at the Buffalo Seminary on Bidwell.
SUBARU BUFFALO 4-MILE CHASE SCHEDULE OF EVENTS JULY 21, 2023
- 11:00 AM Registration and Expo on Bidwell Parkway.
- 5:00 PM Pre-Race Party Music by DJ Milk & DJ Yes
- 5:00 PM Registration for Kids races ages 5 thru 10
- 6:40 PM Kids’ races begin
- 6:45 PM Elite Runner introductions/pre-race instructions
- 6:50 PM Pre-Race Drum Roll – Buffalo Bills Drummers
- 6:55 PM Last call to the start
- 7:00 PM Race Start
- 7:18 PM First Male Finisher
- 7:20 PM First Female Finisher
- 7:30 PM Post Race Party
- 8:30 PM Awards Ceremony
SUBARU 2023 BIOS
Muruts Wbat 21, Ethiopia
- 1st Place Kip Keino Classic Nairobi 2022
- Ran Personal and Seasons best 5000m 13:44
- Moi International Sports Center Nairobi
Fikadu Haftu 29, Ethiopia
- Top 10 African Championships
- Top 8 at World Cross Country Championships
- 5th Place 10,000m African Championships
- Silver Medalist World Cross Country Championships
Simon Kimunge 23, Kenya
- 1st Place 2022 Subaru Buffalo 4-Mile Chase
- His career bests come from Japan as a Junior highlighted by a
- 13:42 5k and 29:42 10k
- 1st Place Saegaya 5000m Kitakyushu Japan 2020
- 1st Place Kosa 10k Kosa Japan
Maeregu Hayelom 24, Ethiopia
- Top Finishes include
- 3rd Place Langueux 10 k France
- 3rd Place Warsaw ½ Marathon Poland
- 1st Place Sofia Marathon Poland
Meselu Berhe 23, Ethiopia
- Career Accomplishments Include
- World Under 20 Championships Silver Medalist
- African Under 20 Championships Bronze Medalist
- Top 8 World Cross Country Championships
- 2nd Place Platja D’en Bosa 10k Ibiza Spain
- 5th Place ECCC Cross Country, Spain 2023
Monicah Ngige 30, Kenya
- Formerly Ranked # 4 in the world for 5k
- First Female 2016-17-19 Subaru Buffalo 4 Mile Chase
- 3rd Place Boston Marathon 2021
- 5th Place Boston Marathon 2022
- Major Road Race Wins Include:
- Cooper River Bridge Run, Charleston S.C.
- Crescent City Classic, New Orleans
- Mobile Azalea Trail Run , Mobile Alabama
Dylan Gearanger 25, Old Forge, Pa.
- Top 10 U.S. Marathon Rankings 2021
- 2 Time National Track &Field Qualifier
- Top 100 International Rankings for Indoor 3000
- 1st Place Pittsburgh 10 Miler 2022
- 2nd Place Philadelphia Marathon 2021
Victor Shitsama 24, Kenya
- 3 Time NCAA All American Oklahoma State
- 2023 NCAA Track & Field Championship 3000m steeplechase
- 2nd Place Subaru 4-Mile Chase 2022
- Career Best 13:53 5k 29:14 10k
- 1st Place Stanford Invitational 10,000m 2022
Bernard Koech 28, Kenya
- 6th Place Generali Marathon, Geneva, Switzerland 2023
- 6th Place Grandmas Marathon, Duluth, Minn. 2022
- 3rd Place Maratona di Ravenna, Ravenna, Italy 2021
The 41st Running of the Subaru Buffalo 4- Mile Chase History, Facts and Figures
- Starting in 1981, 292 runners started the “Casey’s Nickelodeon 4-Mile Chase” on Bidwell Parkway and Elmwood Avenue towards the Historic Richardson Complex on Forest Ave. Turning right on Forest they continued to Delaware Avenue and passed the burial site of our 13th president, Millard Fillmore in Forest Lawn Cemetery. They continued past the stately mansions on Delaware Avenue, passing the Red Cross on Summer and entered and enjoyed 1 and ½ miles of the “Elmwood Strip”. During the following 39 years this unique 4-mile race course has provided a challenge for some of the best runners in the world.
- In 1985, known as The Black Tower Wine Chase, it was the first race to offer Prize Money in then its 90-year history of W.N.Y.’S road races.
- In 1986 Subaru became the Major Sponsor, now celebrating 35 years as Presenting and Major Sponsor.
- It was an amateur fun run which turned into a nationally recognized race that has attracted former Olympians, Medalists and World Record Holders.
- Established a male masters’ 4-mile world record in 1990 set by John Campbell of New Zealand. Campbell in that year won the New York City, Boston and Los Angeles. Marathon masters’ division.
- The race gives local runners an opportunity to test themselves against some of the top runners in the world. Open to runners of all ages and experience.
- Is one of only 3 major four-mile races in the world used to keep track of age group winners who qualify for the world all time rankings by The Association of Road Racing Statistics. One of the top 3 four-mile races in the world.
- Recognized as “ The Jewel among area road races” …Buffalo News and “ A World Class Race, W.N.Y.”s Premier International Sporting Event” …Buffalo Spree.
- Brings prestige to W.N.Y. and has taken its place as one of the Top Regional Races in the Country.
- Has attracted 32,670 participants from 30 foreign countries (now 32 with entries this year from Algeria and Burundi) and every state.
Contact Jim Nowicki (Race Director) at 716-983-5810 for additional information.
ABOUT ERIE COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER (ECMC) CORPORATION: The ECMC Corporation was established as a New York State Public Benefit Corporation and since 2004 has included an advanced academic medical center with 573 inpatient beds, on- and off-campus health centers, more than 30 outpatient specialty care services and Terrace View, a 390-bed long-term care facility. ECMC is Western New York’s only Level 1 Adult Trauma Center, as well as a regional center for burn care, behavioral health services, transplantation, medical oncology and head & neck cancer care, rehabilitation and a major teaching facility for the University at Buffalo. Most ECMC physicians, dentists and pharmacists are dedicated faculty members of the university and/or members of a private practice plan. More Western New York residents are choosing ECMC for exceptional patient care and patient experiences—the difference between healthcare and true care™.