- Corporate Governance
- Annual Report
- HIPAA & Privacy
- Report to the Community
- Mission Statement
- Executive Team
- Lifeline Foundation
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations
- Media Archive
- Freedom of Information Law
- Canadian Patients
- Volunteer Services
Evolution to the Erie County Medical Center
Erie County Medical Center’s roots extend back to The Municipal Hospital, which was built on East Ferry Street in 1905 to serve smallpox patients. By 1912, the capacity of this facility became over-extended in the face of scarlet fever and later, tuberculosis epidemics, and the new Buffalo City Hospital was built at 462 Grider Street.
Dr. Edward J. Meyer co-founded the hospital and was a member of the first board of managers. Dr. Meyer’s service to the Buffalo City Hospital ? from 1912 to the 1930s ? was recognized when the hospital was renamed the Edward J. Meyer Memorial Hospital in 1939.
As early as 1918, the hospital had become one of the few institutions in the world treating virtually every known type of medical problem. And, mainly through the efforts of Dr. Meyer, the hospital had joined the foremost teaching facilities in the country, providing training for physicians, dentists, nurses, and dietitians.
During the early 1970s, a new hospital building was built and renamed the Erie County Medical Center to signify the wide-ranging role the hospital had taken in the community. By 1989, the high standards at the Medical Center had earned it the designations of Western New York’s trauma and burn treatment centers.
In 2004, the Erie County Medical Center Healthcare Network became a Public Benefit Corporation, known as Erie County Medical Center (ECMC) Corporation, an autonomous health system.
Today, the Erie County Medical Center (ECMC) Corporation is one of the area’s leading healthcare providers and one of the country's most modern, functional, and efficient healthcare delivery systems. ECMC Corporation encompasses an advanced academic medical center (ECMC) with 550 inpatient beds and 136 skilled-nursing-home beds, on- and off-campus health centers, over 40 outpatient specialty care clinics and the Erie County Home, a skilled nursing facility. ECMC is the adult regional center for trauma, burn care, rehabilitation and a major teaching facility for the State University of New York at Buffalo. Most ECMC physicians, dentists and pharmacists are dedicated faculty members of the University. More Western New York residents are choosing ECMC for exceptional patient care and customer service.
Benchmarks / Timelines
1905: Municipal House, predecessor to ECMC, is built to serve smallpox patients.
1912: Plans are made to build a new Buffalo City Hospital on ECMC’s current Grider Street site. This new hospital will fulfill community needs to care for the growing surge of tuberculosis patients. A board of managers is formed, with Dr. Edward J. Meyer as chairman.
1918: Buffalo City Hospital opens. When the Erie County Almshouse and Infirmary burns to the ground shortly thereafter, the Hospital is called upon to look after patients with general medical and surgical problems, as well as tuberculosis.
1921: The Buffalo City Hospital opens its first medical library, a facility which has grown and is still in use by patients, guests, nurses, and doctors.
1922: The Hospital opens the Social Service Department, an innovation for its time.
1923: A building is opened at the Hospital for communicable diseases and named the Wende Building after Dr. Ernest Wende, Health Commissioner and dermatology professor at the University at Buffalo.
1930: The Hospital and the University at Buffalo’s School of Nursing form a cooperative agreement.
1932: The Medical and Surgical buildings at the Buffalo City Hospital are named after Dr. Edward J. Meyer in honor of his continued efforts to make the Hospital a leading teaching facility.
1939: The Buffalo City Hospital is renamed the Edward J. Meyer Memorial Hospital.
1962: A proposal for a new hospital building at the Grider Street site is announced.
1964: The Meyer Hospital opens one of the country’s first Sterile Supply units.
1978: The new hospital building is completed and the facility is named the Erie County Medical Center to signify the expanded role it has taken in the community.
1989: ECMC is named Western New York’s designated trauma center, and opens the burn treatment center. Erie County Medical Center is also designated the Western New York AIDS center.
1996: By referendum, Erie County residents vote to consolidate the Erie County Home and the Erie County Home Care Agency into the ECMC Healthcare Network. The ECMC Healthcare Network opens three new community-based health centers to serve the primary care health needs of the WNY community.
2004: The Erie County Medical Center Healthcare Network becomes an autonomous health system as a Public Benefit Corporation and is renamed the Erie County Medical Center Corporation.