On March 19, 1918, the new City Hospital at 462 Grider Street opened as a public general hospital with 415 beds and the resources to provide special care for tuberculosis patients and those with acute communicable diseases. The following year, the City Hospital School of Nursing was founded , becoming the first diploma nursing school in Buffalo to include university courses, racially integrate students, and admit men. The transformation of an 82-acre farm on Buffalo’s East Side into a healthcare campus opened a century of delivering quality medical services that continues today at ECMC. From the early vision of physicians, nurses, and support staff who addressed the healthcare needs of Buffalo’s and Western New York’s residents at the turn of the 20th Century to today’s dedicated caregivers in the 21st Century, this healthcare institution continues to provide excellent patient care across multiple medical service lines, ensuring that every individual receives the care they expect and deserve.
This webpage is designed to share the remarkable history of ECMC as we continue to move forward. Please enjoy the legacy of this groundbreaking healthcare institution that has for 100 years delivered True Care to the residents of our region, maintaining the highest level of quality healthcare services for all.