Erie County Medical Center’s roots extend back to The Municipal Hospital, which was built on East Ferry Street in 1905 to serve smallpox patients. By 1912, this facility became over-extended in the face of scarlet fever and later, tuberculosis epidemics, and the new Buffalo City Hospital was built at 462 Grider Street.
Today, ECMC is one of the area’s leading healthcare providers and one of the country’s most modern, functional, and efficient healthcare delivery systems, including:
ECMC is also the regional center for trauma, burn care, behavioral health, transplantation, and medical rehabilitation, and is proud to be the home of a number of Centers of Excellence, including those for transplantation and kidney care, behavioral health and oncology.
ECMC is also major teaching facility for the University at Buffalo, making it a top destination for research and innovation.