- Ambulatory (Outpatient) Care
- Behavioral Health
- Kidney (Nephrology)
- Orthopaedics (Muscles/Bones)
- Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Primary Care
- Regional Trauma/Burn Treatment Ctr.
- Terrace View Long-Term Care Facility
- Specialty Care
- Stroke Center
- Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine Center
The ER staff is composed of the largest group of board-certified emergency medicine physicians in Western New York. As the medical emergency response system for the entire county, ECMC has the largest emergency department in Western New York, with 29 exams rooms, which include four for trauma. A “fast track” program is available for less critical emergencies. The department is completely staffed by physicians who are board certified or board eligible in emergency medicine, and all registered nurses are trained in emergency care.
As the region’s adult trauma center, ECMC offers the only burn/hand center in the area. The hospital has been designated a SAFE Center for victims of sexual assault. Waiting and quiet rooms have been renovated to ensure the comfort of patients and their family members.
Other unique Emergency Department services include:
- A SMART TEAM, comprising Emergency Department residents available 24/7 who respond to special situations in the field
- Comprehensive cardiac care, including emergency angioplasty
- An occupational health program
- Bedside ultrasonography—ECMC was the first to study bedside ultrasound usage by the emergency physician
- Center for Transportation Injury (CENTIR)
- An alcohol and substance abuse counselor available at any time
- Adult toxicology consults
- A full-service ER, including AIS, CPEP and drug counseling
- “Virtual Glove” research
- A Child Safety Seat Program
- A Camp 911 Program—a free one-day program that teaches children ages 10–13 life-saving techniques
- An injury-prevention program offering high school students the chance to see the Emergency Department at work
- Rapid registration
- A decontamination room
- Medical services at Ralph Wilson Stadium
ECMC has the most active telemedicine program, linking healthcare professionals in outlying hospitals to consult with ECMC physician experts. In fact, in 1994, ECMC was the home to the first computer-based telemedicine system in the world. Currently, it is one of the leading emergency telemedicine systems in New York State, with 21 emergency telemedicine sites.
The Emergency Department has always been on the leading edge of healthcare:
- Developed the first crash cart in the world
- Started the national Emergency Nurses Association (ENA)
- Performed the first trauma ultrasound by emergency physicians in the United States
In fact, Emergency Department staff members are major national contributors to transportation research.
ECMC is dedicated to providing high-quality emergency care available in an environment committed to patient satisfaction. Nearly 50,000 people get their emergency care at ECMC every year. When you need emergency care for yourself or a loved one, ECMC is your top choice.